Tuesday, November 22, 2005

GOOD NEWS... SCARY NEWS

Well the nuchal translucency test went really well today. The skin thickness / folds or whatever it is that they check was "perfect" and the belly bean was putting on quite a show! It was dancing around, pushing off & swimming, and just showing off!

Dr. D said belly bean is measuring 12w0d and that as far as he's concerned, this kid is here to stay!! Did my TB bubble test and we've got an appointment coming up on Friday the 16th so that Hub can meet the doc. At that point we should have the surgery report from Dr. M to see what type of incision he did for the twins' c-section and we can start talking hospitals and delivery styles (VBAC vs. section). Apparently there has been a movement in the area hospitals to lower their risks of having laboring mothers. Wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that sections garner the hospitals more money????

Oh - and even better yet... there's only ONE baby (still) LOL!!


I left the appointment feeling really good. That, however, was dashed when I got home & received a message from the other ob group that I'd been checking out saying that my bloodwork on the Cystic Fibrosis scan came back saying I was POSITIVE as a carrier. After some quick research (so Hub would know what I was talking about) it says that if the father is also a carrier, there is a 1-in-4 chance the child would have CF. This is just totally mind-blowing to me; I don't remember being told anything like this when I was pregnant with the boys.

Dr. D called me about 5:30 pm tonite. (Have I mentioned how happy I am I chose him? This is the SECOND TIME IN NINE DAYS the man has called me at home to chat & check in on me!) He said that he doesn't want to panic; that he typically runs CF scans if there is a history of miscarriage or history of CF in the family. He was rather surprised they ran it and he said it is even more rare if Harry were to end up being a carrier. He said he's going to talk to some other ob's who have more experience with this and will get back to me by the start of next week (at the latest) and he'd get it set up for Harry to have the bloodwork done. He said that *IF* Harry were to come up with the same CF marker and we then decided to take the risk of an amniocentesis (which he'd want to do between 16 & 18 weeks to lower risk of miscarriage) they would be able to easily check the fluid since they'd know exactly WHICH markers they were looking for.

Just not sure how I feel about this all. It's rather scary, and with this pregnancy coming out of the blue and being such a miracle, I guess I'm just suspicious that everything would be smooth sailing. :(

Comments:
OH wow! That's something to be thankful for over Thanksgiving NOT! Good grief! Why do the doctors have scare the heebie jeebies out of people? Why can't they just do the tests and when they know for sure say something.

Well I'm really sorry about all of this and I will be praying for you and your family. Please keep us updated.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?